Saturday, November 16, 2013

Is Running Bad For You?

The title of this post may seem a bit self destructive for a guy who aspires to keep on running.  However, popular media and, indeed, the scientific community seems to be split on this simple question: Is running bad for you?

I cannot tell you how many people have told me now much damage I've done to my body because I've complete 2 marathon distance runs.  "You have no idea how taxing that is on your heart." "You will be in a wheelchair when you are older, because of the strain you are putting on your feet and knees now."  "Study XYZ says that people die within 24 hours after a marathon run.  That could be you."

Time to talk to the experts.  I invited my good friend and neighbour ( who also happens to be my doctor ) over for a couple games of Settlers of Catan and casually segwayed into the topic of running.  I love and respect her advise because she doesn't just regurgitate Medical Journals to me.  There is a sensibility, personal-touch and pragmatism to her that a lot of doctors lack.  Not to mention a strong moral code - she has turned down many many career and life changing opportunities from the States, because she refuses to work in a system that doesn't treat healthcare as a basic human right.  All that to say that I respect her opinion and character and take it to heart.

I asked her what she thought about running.  She replied quickly, "It's great for you, keep doing it."  Oh, ok.  I pressed her a bit more, playing devils-advocate.  "Someone told me that I should only run so far and I could die and will be crippled."

"You are going to die anyway.  There is no scientific research that says running is worse off for you. Quite the opposite.  We should all be running, biking, walking, swimming, etc.  There is AMPLE scientific research backing the obesity epidemic in the western world.  And those that fall over after or during big events, probably weren't ready for the event.  People who rarely exercise, are 50 times more likely ( that's 5000% ) to die of a heart attack during or shortly after people who engage in moderate to strenuous exercise 5 times per week.  We are getting fatter and lazier, and we are doing everything we can to stay on that couch watching Netflix."

She hit the nail on the head.  The Blerch has infiltrated our popular subconscious.

Humans are a funny lot, when a problem gets too big, we tend to ignore it more. ( how much sleep have you lost over global warming? )  Take a look at the west 20, even 30 years ago. ( go ahead, find an old photo album and really look at your relatives and friends )  Maybe it's an inherent protection mechanism for our comfortable way of life.  I don't know.  What I do know, and you don't have to be a scientist to observe this, is we've become sedentary and fat obese and nobody wants to admit it.

Regarding marketing

Everyone is selling something.  Everyone.  Whether it is an actual tangible product or an abstract idea that supports your personal, career or political agenda, you are selling something - I am selling something.  I stopped and thought about who was talking to me about the mortal dangers of running.  One was my dietician, who is selling me a food plan.  Something I need regardless of an exercise regime.  However, he is selling me a golden ticket that a running program/lifestyle collides with.  My running, the fact that I am externally burning between 1000-2000 calories per day, effects his value proposition.  Ironically, another buddy of mine tells me that I shouldn't be running because it strains the heart and joints way too much.  Instead I should join a gym ( his gym ) and incorporate myself into a gymnasium lifestyle.  Sculpt my body with muscle, which leans out all of the fat.  Yet another value prop collision.

So, here is my conclusion.  Running can be bad for you.  If you aren't prepared for it, you can hurt yourself running ( or, in very rare cases, worse ).  I would also assert that consuming water can be bad for you.  As with everything else in life, moderation and common sense, s'il vous plait.  When moderation doesn't feel like enough add a bit more until it feels like moderation again.  Keep running, stop blerching.

Enough of this computer, I'm going out for a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment